Saturday, February 18, 2006

Why I Believe in a Triune God

I believe there is a god. According to a Gallup poll an estimated 87 percent of the worlds population believe there is a god.

I believe my god cannot lie to me. To believe that god can lie means that we need not believe anything else which means believing in that god is pointless.

I believe my god has spoken to me. If god did not speak to me I would not care much about if there was a god or not.

Since my god has spoken to me and cannot lie I believe Him when He says, "I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me" (Isaiah 45:5). My God is the only God.

I believe my God when He says that He is love (1 John 4:16).

Since my God says He is love and He cannot lie I believe Him when He says what love is.
"If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am become sounding brass, or a clanging cymbal. And if I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
And if I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and if I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profiteth me nothing. Love suffereth long, and is kind; love envieth not; love vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not its own, is not provoked, taketh not account of evil; rejoiceth not in unrighteousness, but rejoiceth with the truth; beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things" (1 Corinthians 13:1-7).

I believe my God when He says, "But now abideth faith, hope, love, these three; and the greatest of these is love." (1 Corinthians 13:13). God says the greatest thing is love and God is love so not only is God the greatest thing He defines what the greatest thing is by Himself.

Since God is the greatest love and cannot lie I believe Him when He says what the greatest love is. "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13). What does that say? HIS LIFE. Not another's life. Not a created life. HIS LIFE! God the Father who is love says the greatest love is that A MAN lay down HIS LIFE.

I believe God when He says, "I am the LORD, I change not" (Malachi 3:6). My God who cannot change and cannot lie "became flesh, and dwelt among us" (John 1:14).

Only one person in history has ever proclaimed to lay down their life for mankind and that is Jesus. God the Son.

Jesus must be God since He said, "I lay down my life for the sheep" (John 10:15). The sheep is mankind. Jesus also said he came "to give his life a ransom for many" (Matthew 20:28).

Jesus said point blank, "I and my Father are one" (John 10:30).

Since God cannot lie and cannot change I believe God when He says, "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13).

I believe God the Father demonstrated the greatest love as He Himself defined love by His very nature which is love and became flesh, and dwelt among us, laying down HIS LIFE for the ransom of many. Or we could say, for His friends.

If God did not lay down HIS life life then God is a liar and it would not matter what Jesus said since Jesus would be only man. Nothing God created could ever demonstrate the greatest love God defined by Himself being love. No created thing could lay down their life in place of God. God said HIS life. Jesus was not the first created thing. Jesus was not created. Jesus is God.

"Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever" (Hebrews 13:8). "I am the LORD, I change not" (Malachi 3:6). "I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me" (Isaiah 45:5). "I and my Father are one" (John 10:30).

Jesus makes a distinction between Himself and His Father and yet says they are one. God had to lay down HIS life or God would be a liar. Jesus said He came to lay down His life. The only way to account for this is say that the Father is God and the Father is Jesus. Two of the three Triune God. I will tell you why I believe in the third in a second.

"The eternal triune God reveals Himself to us as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, with distinct personal attributes, but without division of nature, essence, or being" (Baptist Faith and Message). Since this such a difficult concept to wrap our limited human mind around many choose not to believe it at all. I tried to explain how I think of or deal with the Trinity in my previous post. I hope this one clears up any misunderstandings.

Jesus says, "I will pray the Father, and He shall give you another Comforter, so that He may be with you forever" (John 14:16). "He dwells with you and shall be in you" (John14:17).

Jesus who is God and cannot lie and does not change says, "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you" (John 14:18). "I am with you always" (Matthew 28:20).

Jesus says, "If a man love me my Father will love him, and WE will come unto him, and make our abode with him" (John 14:23). It's not only Jesus who comes. It's the Father too. It would have to be this way since Jesus and the Father are one. Notice the condition though? "If a man love me". There is evidence of that love that I removed from the verse above since that is a whole different topic all together. I suggest you get in your bible and check it out, John 14:23.

God cannot lie and does not change. He Himself became man. Jesus is that man. Jesus says He will come to us, that He is always with us, and that the Father comes with Him.

Jesus says, "I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me" ( John 15:26). Jesus will send the Spirit. The Spirit comes from the Father. Jesus and the Father are one. Jesus says HE will come to us. When the Holy Spirit comes, the Son comes. When the Son comes, the Father comes. The Father is the Son who is the Spirit. The Holy Spirit is God. The third part of the Triune God.

I believe "The eternal triune God reveals Himself to us as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, with distinct personal attributes, but without division of nature, essence, or being" (Baptist Faith and Message).

I have done my best to explain how I think or deal with the reality of a Truine God. I have done my best to explain why I believe in a Truine God. I am now going to move back to my previous line of writings. We left off with God just speaking angels into existence.

3 comments:

Gordon said...

Michael, this is a good sequence of thoughts concerning the Trinity. Ultimately we must come to the point where we realize that all models of the Trinity fail to fully display its truth. God reserves the right to define His own nature.

Good to see that you are posting again.

Correy said...

Very True Gordon for Jesus said concerning the Father He was using figurative language But that there is a day coming where he would no longer use figurative language but would tell us plainly concerning the Father. I believe that day has come.

Modern Day Magi said...

Well done.
Wonderfully put together.
Just like drawing a picture on a piece of paper, it can only have 2 dimensions but can expresss 3 dimensions. This picture allows one to visualise a solid object but not to totally appriciate it. We can express the trinity in a number of ways, and God has revealed His Triune nature through His word, but as humans we cannot fully appriciate the trinity even though we can get a hint of what it is.