Friday, February 24, 2006

Passed By

I saw a little bird yesterday on my way home from work. Maybe it was a baby. I don't know. All I know is it was small and it was hurt laying in the middle of the road.

I thought about stopping and picking it up but I don't know anything about birds. How could I help it? I thought about turning around and running it over to put it out of it's misery but I didn't do that either. I thought I might go back and move it off the road at least but then I was pretty far down the road and so I thought, "Well, God takes care of even the sparrow", so I offered up a prayer. It was a half hearted prayer. How could I honestly pray for a bird? And if I really did want to pray for the bird then why didn't I stop and do something?

I wonder how many people I have done that way. I saw them broken and hurt, laying in the middle of life's road, and I thought, "What can I do for them?", and passed them by.

No comments: