Saturday, February 18, 2006

(7) Angels

What do you think the angels saw first when they were in their first second of creation? I would venture to say it was Jesus. I would like to bring us back to God speaking. Before God spoke there was only God, but now, God has spoken, "And I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne, an innumerable company of angels" (Revelations 5:11, Hebrews 12:22). Angels saw Jesus sitting on a throne.

God spoke an innumerable number of angels into existence instantly and completely. I do not believe God kept creating more angels. Every angel was created all at once and there has been no others created since. Innumerable angels came to be and saw Jesus. God stepped into a reality He created.

I have often wondered what the first thing Jesus said to an innumerable number of angels who just came to be. I'm guessing it was "Fear Not!" followed closely by "I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt have no other gods before me". No matter what was said I imagine that Jesus did indeed inform them that they were created by Him and before Him there was nothing except Him. Why do I say this? Well, It seems that one angel questioned this. One cannot question something one does not know about. We will learn more about this when I get to Lucifer.

The fact that God created the angels and their reality before ours can be found Job 38:6-7. Some commentaries say the morning stars in verse 7 are angels, others not. I reserve my opinion to myself. What is not in doubt are the sons of God. They are angels present when God began creating. "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell if you have understanding! Who has set its measurements, for you know? Or who has stretched the line on it? On what are its bases sunk, or who cast its cornerstone, when the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy? " (Job 38:4-7).

Angels shouted for joy when God was creating the earth. It's logical to think they were with God when He started. I have often wondered why God created angels first and why bother with angels at all. Angels are spirit beings (Hebrews 1:14) and they do not die (Luke 20:36). God could not give His greatest love to angels. God wasn't going to become spirit and lay down His life for angels that do not die so why bother with them? Why not just get right to creating the earth and man?

I think the key lies in the fact that angels have a will of their own and that is what I wish to concentrate on. I realize that angels have ministries to Jesus, to believers, to the nations, and to unbelievers but each of those ministries is a topic in and of themselves. All of these are reasons why God created angels but I don't think that any of them is a compelling enough reason to create them before our reality (earth, man, US). Angels could have been created at anytime before man to fulfill the ministries listed.

We are never told how long the angels were with God before the creation of our reality. It's not all that important I don't imagine. What is important is what took place in that time and that has everything to do with the angels having a will of their own and their ability to exercise that will. It's in this I think we find compelling reasons to have angels created first.

In the next post angels use their freewill and we meet Lucifer.

3 comments:

Correy said...

Enjoyed reading through your thoughts on angels.

Michael Pendleton said...

Thank You Puritan!

Tim A said...

Michael,
The topic of angels is very interesting. Your article is great.