Thursday, March 02, 2006

My Testimony

I suppose my very first memory of life is a drug memory. Crazy hu? I was 3 and we were going to move. I had built a fort out of boxes and thought it would be great to eat all my Flinstone chewable vitamins. Something said that was wrong so I put them back.
My first memory of God I think is when I went to visit an uncle of mine. I think I might have been 7. He lived on a farm. It was a self contained community of believers. They had a small school house, a community kitchen, and did most everything together. I didn't much care for it. I got my mouth washed out with soup for using the Lords name in vain to many times even though I'm pretty sure it was Gosh and not God I was saying but oh well. The whole experience literally left a bad taste in my mouth. Except one thing. There was a massive white cross on top of a big hill that I could walk up too and sit under. That was great. Don't really remember why it was great. I just remember it being quite and I could see anyone coming up on me.
My mom and dad got divorced when I was 10 or so. My dad married the wicked witch of the west and no matter how much water I threw on her she wouldn't melt. Didn't last long but during that time I hated coming home so I didn't. I got a paper route in 6th grade which ended at a friends house. That friend and I got stoned at recess under the slide one day. I loved it!
Somewhere around that time my dad came home with one of those Map of the End Times fold out things. Somebody at work had convinced him the world was going to end I guess. We had a big old bible and we looked at some stuff. It was all pretty interesting stuff. Not sure whatever happened with all that as far as my dad goes but I obtained The Book and read the New Testament. I started having Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses come over and I'd drill them. I got them both to come over at the same time one day. I think that was the first time I realized that not all Christian religions were the same.
Some dude I don't quite remember told me the Mormons were a cult. Seemed reasonable to me. The Book of Mormon was an entirely ridiculous read. Everyone from the Jehovah Witnesses were old so they eliminated themselves by not relating to me. I suppose I could have been indoctrinated into they're cult pretty easy had they sent someone younger.
By the end of 7th grade I wasn't thinking nothing about God anymore. I was in full on party mode. The roller skating rink was the place to be then. I'd convince somebody or another to buy me some beer, chug a can, bend it up, poke some holes, and fire it up......pot that is.
Somewhere between 8th and 9th grade I know God tried to get my attention again. The only reason I say this is because I know exactly what distracted me. SEX! I discovered sex. I found out I had a knack for picking up girls or as I hear it's called today, I had game. Whatever the case was I know I was living sex, drugs, and rock n roll.
I discovered acid somewhere around this time. MDMA was just starting to pick up steam with the punk rockers but it was pretty hard to get. Hash came dipped in opium and as far as I was concerned this was the bomb. I'm pretty sure crack was around but I never liked any of the "go fast" drugs. I wanted to zone out. For some reason I have never been to sure of I wanted to evacuate the world. I'm pretty sure I simply liked the high.
At 17 I think, just turned it, I flipped a car and that was a major turning point. No longer could I hide that I was all messed up. My dad and I began a strained relationship at that point that I only made worse by getting worse.
After flipping my car I tried God again. I attended a Pentecostal church for a bit but they kept telling me I needed to speak in tongues which I couldn't do so I figured God didn't want me. If He didn't want me then I certianly didn't want Him. I quit going to that church.
I dropped out of school at the start of 12th grade. Right before that I got busted for having hash in my locker and went to jail. I had just turned 18. I was only in there a couple days. I read the New Testament for like the 4th time in my life. I didn't do any of that pleading with God stuff.
I went to Job Core shortly after that. It was my first time to be out on my own. I was in Pre-appreciate Painting. I became a small time peddler of pot and probably would have been expelled except I beat them to the punch line and enrolled myself in the union so they graduated me.
I got my first job working on Husky Stadium and moved into a small apartment. I had to share the bathroom with the neighbor. It was one street up from Broadway in Seattle. Anyone that has heard the song My Posses on Broadway by Sir-Mix-A lot has heard where I was living. Broadway is a serious party strip for the collage. I met this chick who I thought was interested in me but she wanted me to come to a Scientology thing, so I went. That was some of the most seriously bogus stuff I have ever heard. Anyone that has ever tried to read Dianetics knows it's just a lot of really big words strung together to sound really intellectual. It's mumbo jumbo. Anyways, I wanted the girl so I signed up for the first class thing they do. Some deal where you were suppose to figure out which memories were repressing you. They sat me in a chair and handed me these two can things that had wires hanging out that were connected to some machine thing. They started asking me questions. I don't remember what. I know that the dude seemed overly interested in my first girl friend and me losing my virginity. I got fed up and demanded my money back. They gave me a lot of grief for nearly a week not wanting to give my money back so I finally made a big sign and stood in front of the place screaming at people that these people stole my money. A manager came down and gave me my money.
I got laid off which happens a lot in the union and I went to work on Water Front Park and the Seattle Aquarium. After that I got transferred to a job at the junior collage in my home town so I roomed up with some friends of mine and moved back cross the water to Bremerton where I was born and raised.
A Japanese guy was the foreman and he'd get really mad and yell at me in his native tonge. I told him to speak English or die and walked off. That was the end of working for the union.
I joined a magazine crew that goes around the U.S. selling magazines. I'm sure you've had them knock on your door. "Hi, I just came by to see you for a minute.....blah blah blah.....I'm in a contest and I could win _______ (fill in the blank)". Never buy anything from these people. There not in a contest. You probably won't get your magazine. If you pay them in cash they are heading straight to somebody that will buy them drugs or booze. I seriously partied on the road. We went everywhere. It was the first time I had left Washington state. I was on the road for nearly a year and covered something like 16 states. I got fired in Texas.
After the Greyhound ride home I didn't have much interest in staying in Washington so I enrolled in a welding school in Tucson Arizona and drove down there. I graduated at the age of 22. I drove over to St. Marys Georgia. Where my mom was stationed civil service at the sub base there. I wound up getting a girl pregnant and married her for all the wrong reasons.
I did stop drinking and drugging for awhile though. After my daughter was born I got serious about work for a bit. It didn't last long. My mom got transferred back to Washington and we went with her. Big mistake. Everything went south from there. We moved back down to Georgia were my wives parents were but the damage was done. I was worse than ever. Drinking practically nonstop. Moving back to Georgia sobered me up till we got out on our own which wasn't long. I went to work with a dedicated Mormon drug dealer. My wives parents were Mormons too. All I knew was Mormons were wack. It was constant friction.
Towards the end of that marriage as it was always in a state of decay from the start I went to work at a warehouse on the sub base. A guy there who was way friendly would listen to all my troubles with my marriage and stuff. I told him about the Mormon pressure. I told him about all my addictions. He kept telling me I needed Jesus. I was like, "been there, done that".
One night I had a dream. Captain John Luke Picard of the Starship Enterprise (I HATE STARTREK!!!) was motioning me to join him on some stairs. I awoke terrified. I ran out of the room, into the kitchen, and just stood there. I could feel one string running through the top middle of my head. That string held me up. I knew without a doubt that Jesus had just told me to decide and the thing that scared me was I knew that I knew that I knew it was my last chance. He wasn't going to call me anymore.
I went to work and asked the guy who had been witnessing to me if God still spoke to people. He was careful with his answer I realize in retrospect. He told me to go and ask Him if it was Him. So that's what I did. I walked out on the loading dock and told God if He had anything else to say I was listening.
I felt I should get a bible and so I did. I read the whole thing in a week. I started over. I was somewhere in Proverbs when I turned to God and asked if I was crazy. The Word seemed so alive. I felt compelled to read. I told God I needed to know if it was Him and if it was Him I wanted what I was reading about. I told Him if it was Him calling me then I was answering and He needed to come claim me.
Pentecostal people speak of a baptism of fire. That is as close as I can call what happened. I ranted on a bit like that when I was like "Just Do Something!"......And He did. I went to shaking. It felt like my whole body came alive with pin pricks. It scared me! I got up and ran down the isle (I was hiding back in the warehouse reading when I should have been working). The sensation intensified. I thought I might lift right off the ground. I was like, "Ok, Ok, It's enough! I got it! Great! Your real! Stop!".

Don't ask God to touch you if your not ready to feel it.

Nothing could stop me from joining a church. I hit the First Baptist Church of Kingsland Georgia like a whirlwind. Those people didn't know what happened. I called on a Wednesday and asked if I could come to church. They said they would be happy to have me. I walked in and announced that I had read the whole bible twice and God had saved my soul and I wanted to be baptised! I read dang near the whole library they had there. If the doors were open I was there. I questioned everything.
I totally stopped all drugs and drinking. I devoured the Word. I had read the N.A.S.B. twice so I went and got an N.I.V. and read it and then I figured I would try the King James since everybody kept telling me it was the Word of God. I didn't settle for any King James though. I got the Reese Chronological Bible and read it.
None of this mattered though. The damage to my marriage was done. My inlaws couldn't understand why I wouldn't come to the Mormon church. Everything fell apart.
I got divorced and got really, really mad at God. For about 3 years I jumped around the U.S. and drank and had endless amounts of sex. I wound up on my mom's living room floor.

The thing about trying to drink God out of your life is He is at the bottom of every bottle staring back up at you.

I was a miserable drunk now. I would get smashed and tell everyone "You know what we all really need is Jesus!". I am completely and totally convinced that when I get to heaven somebody is going to say that in my drunken preaching they realized something that lead them to Jesus.
I got a drunk driving at the age of 32 I think it was. I got sentenced to alcoholics anonymous. They said something about 90 meetings in 90 days. I figured I was twice as bad as anyone else so I did 180+ in 90 days. I hated everything about alcoholics anonymous. They are a cult in my opinion but one night I heard a distinctly southern accent outside a meeting so I walked up to talk to the girl. She blew me off.
I wasn't getting nothing out of anything. Everything meant nothing. I left one day and walked to a church. I spent the whole day in there crying and yelling at God. I was good and pissed off and it was His fault and He was going to hear about it. The strange thing is that several people came and left the sanctuary that day and it was like I was invisible and wasn't making a sound. People came in and practiced a song on the piano and I decided to test and see if anyone was paying attention to me. I screamed at God. Nobody noticed I was there. It was crazy! It made me even madder. I figured if God wasn't going to let anyone come and comfort me then I was going to let Him have it. I went all out with my rampage at Him. The second I ran out of steam my mom walked in and said she had been looking for me all day when something told her to check the church.
A day or so later I was at a restaurant after an A.A. meeting and that southern girl was sitting across from me. She wasn't paying me any attention and I didn't care about her at all, other than she was So Fine! I was all up on my high horse telling this guy the mojo thing he wore around his neck didn't have any kind of power much less a "higher power". I told him He needed Jesus just like I did.

The girl across the table interupted and said, "Ask me anything about the bible". That was the first words my wife ever spoke to me.

I tried to be funny. I asked, "Why couldn't Cain get his offering right?".....He just wasn't Abel. She didn't get it so I asked what the shortest verse in the bible was. She knew that and oh man was she proud of herself. I mean she lit up! We talked awhile.
She called me the next day and wanted to goto Seattle with me to some A.A. meetings I was going to check out. I had heard they had some real psychos that went to them. Remember, I HAD to goto meetings. I had this thing I had to get signed that showed I was at them.
My soon to be wife was in real bad shape. She came out of an abusive relationship and was strung out on cocaine and pills. I told her if she wanted to be with me she had to stop all powdered substances. She went to a rehab for like the 5th time in her life but she completed this one. That was the end of cocaine and pills. We both still drank and smoked pot though.
We packed up and went to Bainbridge Georgia. One thing led to another and we wound up in Phoenix Arizona staying with a friend of mine. I knew our relationship was going to self destruct. I had been down that path so I started working on her that we needed to get straight and go with God.
One night at her work a dude came in with a big Dirty Harry type handgun. She said all she could think about was, "Don't shoot! I'm going to hell!". She started having serious panics attacks after that. It was something I wasn't prepared to handle. She was all flipped out one night and asked me to pray. As far as I knew I hadn't "prayed" in forever but I did. I told God I knew He was more than capable of taking care of my wife and that I certainly was totally unable to do it. I told Him I couldn't even take care of myself and now He had given me this freaked out woman and I didn't know what to do.
My wife tells everyone that she felt the panic attack end right then. I know I saw a peace come over her. She felt relaxed instead of all tensed up. Right then and there Billy Graham came on the TV and my wife got saved. We left everything we had, which wasn't much, got in the car and drove straight through to Bainbridge and moved in with her mom. We have never drank or smoked pot again. A year later we both quit smoking cigarettes.
My wife is totally bible smart. She has devoured her bible numerous times. She Loves Jesus! I have done some preaching. Nothing much. Just a few times. I'm not sure what God has in store for us. I know I'm blowing up to serve and yet I do nothing much at all.
I'm 38 now. July is my birthday. My wife and I have been married 5 years this August. We have been clean and sober nearly 4 years or just over 3. I always get mixed up and my wife isn't here to ask (Yes, my memory is shot). I fought numerous court battles with my ex-wife and lost them all. I won't see my daughter until she is 18 (she's 14 now) and then only if she decides she wants to see me. It's the consequences of sin. I can accpet that. We have my wife's two girls, 8 and 9, and her son, 16, living with us. God has been faithful. He gave her back all she left behind to pursue sin. The girls love the Lord and were working on the boy.

Well, that's my life. See Ya and God Bless!

16 comments:

Correy said...

Very much enjoyed reading your testimony.

Did you get saved the moment your wife got saved?

Tim A said...

So glad that the Lord saved you. Keep on looking to Him and He will continue to give you grace and strength for each day.

Gordon said...

Michael, I am very thankful that God has saved you from all of your past. Isn't it great to have a new identity in the grace of Christ?

Michael Pendleton said...

Puritan,

I thought more about your question at work and decided to give you a more acurate answer and in the process see if I understand what you mean when you say
"irresistible grace"

I suppose there is three ways of looking at when I was saved.

I actually believe I was saved the moment God answered my pleading with Him. My pleading was for Him to give me everything He was making knowen to me through His word. Praying in the office was just a formality. Everything changed after that. Without a doubt God entered in.

Some people might call this "easy believism" I think is the term. It was all emotionalism. Whatever change that accured in me was negated by the fact I went back, and got worse, at sex, drugs, and drinking. I suppose this too could have been a "lose of salvation" if a person was so inclined to believe this way.

Now a legalist would say I wasn't saved since I divorced my wife and proceded to get much worse at everything. Since I didn't show fruits that they could judge I must be lost.
What those people never could and probably never will understand is that God was working on me. I had to be worse. Everything took twice the effort for half the reward.

God had made me mad. I thought the family that prayed together stayed together. My wife wouldn't come to church with me. Nobody would accept the change. Nothing changed except me and while I was getting better inside the world around me was disintigrating. It tore me in two directions so when the marriage ended I walked away from God.
I have often told people that if you really want to hear God, walk away. He's everywhere! He pursues through bumper stickers, billboards, TV, Radio, people, places, things, circumstances, EVERYTHING is at His disposal to bring you back to Him.

I have determined that my invitation whenever I give one is, "You might as well give up, God has you surrounded".

So I'm thinking you would see this as God speaking irresistible grace into my life. That I never had a choice. God chose me and that was that. "He sought me and bought me, with His redeeming blood". He would have never given up and I was going to be saved no matter how far I ran. The dream I had was not really an ultimatum but a promise that God was comming and I better get ready.
What I am unsure about is if you believe that a complete surrender, a total change, happens the very moment of salvation, such as my wife, which means I wouldn't have been saved at the time I believe I was saved but later when my wife got saved.

I'm all about grace. Grace is all I have. If there is any one thing I firmly grasp and cling to it's God's grace. I tested His grace. When I denied Him He didn't deny me. He kept making circumstances worse and worse. He crashed my wife into me like He was saying, "You think you got problems? Wait till you have to take care of her! I'm going to leave you nowhere to go except back to Me and in the process I'm going to get a daughter too".

Correy said...

Michael:
This is a great answer. Thank you for sharing so intimately the ways the Lord took you from darkness into his marvelous light.

Michael Pendleton said...

So um, Is that a good understanding of irresistible grace?

And what about the timing of salvation. Does there have to be a noticable, imediate change? Or can a person struggle as I did? What I am unsure about is if you believe that a complete surrender, a total change, happens the very moment of salvation?

Correy said...

Michael:
In terms of salvation it is a complete work of the Spirit for it is his doing that you are in Christ Jesus.

In a testimony I look for one thing. Do they testify to Jesus his love his saving grace. Jesus making a total change in their life. Do they cry out on his name both for salvation and for all parts of their life. Do they love the things of his word and hate the things of the world it's lusts. If I hear this I trust the Lord that they are my brothers/sisters.

The Lord has as many different ways to save someone as he does people he saves. Therefore I am not looking for a formula but rather the testimony to Jesus. Yes grace is irresistible otherwise you wouldn't have it. I don't necessarily need proof that you couldn't resist it. Nor do you have to prove anything to me.

If someone testifies to a friend that was nice to them or a church that they joined I consider them unsaved until I hear the testimony of Jesus. Or even if it is just God talk eg I love God, God is good etc without Christ then I consider this God-less talk.

Patty, Dan, Bella, and Bonehead in spirit said...

Michael and Patti. I love you.........Mom

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your testimony Michael.

Aside from the inspiration and hope that you generously blessed us with, I am specially touched by the wisdom in these words, "..the consequences of sin. I can accept that."

I needed to hear that.

Thanks & God bless you and your family.

Anonymous2004

Michael Pendleton said...

Anonymous2004

Don't be Anonymous and thank you for your kind comments.

AsianSmiles said...

My apologies for my earlier "anonymous2004" comments. I meant no disrespect, I'm just not too confident about my blog (too secular).

I'll refrain from commenting anonymously. I hope I'm still welcome (and may I place your link in my blog?). Apologies again.

Modern Day Magi said...

wow.
thanks for sharing michael.
I was watching the simpsons last night and it was the episode where Homer tells intimate stuff about marge to his marriage class and she kicks him out. Homer had to find the one thing he could offer marge that no one else could to get her back. He offered her "Total and utter dependance".
This is how our relationship with God must be. without Him and His grace we are nothing, bound for an eternity of torment without our maker.

Michael Pendleton said...

AsianSmiles,

Do not appologize. No disrespect taken. Of course you may link to me. I greatly appreciate that.

donna said...

Awesome testimony...bless you for sharing...

this is my first time visiting your blog....thank you for sharing God's love and His grace.....

Donna

Unknown said...

Oh,how hard for you and your wife!!
My experience with God's working with me was only being miserable with bitterness. Outwardly no one knew the turmoil but it was there.
It took a year but I finally gave in and asked Jesus to take my, heart, thoughts, everything, and went to bed. Nothing different.
BUT!!!in the morning I was new. I knew Jesus had taken over and I was new, that was 30 years ago. He has been faithful to keep me.
You have a wonderful life now and forever.
Much love, Betty G

Anonymous said...

Your honesty astounds me and I must say I love it probably b/c I can totally relate to it. Totally terrifying to admit one's anger and or hatred (speaking of my own) towards God but then I ran across isaiah 45:7 where it says that He creates evil! He is all knowing and the creator of all so he created these feelings in me when i was going through all the shameful things I did and then blasted Him (ranted, hated, etc) whenever I didn't get my selfish way! Well if He created it, I need only to acknowledge it, confess it and eventually be truly contrite & beg for forgiveness!!! When I finally realized this it was like immediately my hard heart started melting! he blessed my mind and immediately I begged Him to turn my heart and mind towards Him. I wanted to stop all this anger and I was exhausted w/the shame spiral that never seemed to end! The thing is, the hellish life I lived were all about Him. He rescued me from all that hell so that He could be glorified. There is not a commandment I have not broken in some form but again, ultimately I know this will all be for His glory. Luke 12:48 talks about 'much is given, much is required' and I think that is especially true of those of us that had to hit rock bottom more than once (like me) b/c I always knew He was my only way out! The last bottom I hit was amazing b/c even though I've always 'known' I needed to fall in love w/Him it just was not happening but now it truly is. Some of us get saved and stay saved and live nice, sweet lives and Amen and God bless you for it but some of us are harder; like little toddlers that you can scold and tell them not to touch the fire or they'll get hurt/burned and they understand and obey; well not me, I had to get burned repeatedly b4 I finally decided I'd had enough of getting burned! No amount of scolding, preaching or witnessing to me was going to work but that's how He created me! I'm real hard but oh the glory He's going to receive when He's done renewing me! I give Him all my praises now and Ilove Him as much as I possibly can but I know more love is to come b/c I still lack the completeness of loving myself. I now it will come though! No doubts!!! I know He has special work for me! Now I understnd the purpose of allowing me to do so many wretched things, over and over again .. not merely to witness this to many but to truly be done with it; to have true love for many, true understanding and true compassion. I was addicted to everything from overeating, alcohol, drugs, porn, sex (w/men & women) and my addictions were the least of my horrible deeds. God is good and I think often of the prostitute that washed Jesus' feet w/her tears and dryed them w/her hair and then annointed them w/rare perfume .. she was truly my sister ... she was forgiven much and therefore loved much. (luke 7:47) I think that was the point I wanted to make from the get go (ADD and past drug life working for me there; i ramble too much). A lot of us have to go trough a lot to get that true understanding of His word and the work He has for us. We will do it with no doubts and no regrets and with much gratitude, humility, boldness and of course, love! God bless you for your blog; it truly blessed me! Cinnamon