Saturday, March 18, 2006

Heaven part 6: New Earth part 1

I have to this point let everyone think I would sum up the our final abode, New Earth/Heaven, by comparing it to the Garden of Eden. There is one problem with this comparison though. Our final destination will be so far better than Eden that there really is no comparison. So instead of comparing I would like to contrast the two.

In Eden God's presence was with man but He did not dwell with them. It appears that His presence could be withdrawn as Adam and Eve heard the Lord walking in the garden which seems to indicate that God had been away or at least in Adam and Eves mind He was.

When we reach the New Earth "the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God" (Revelation 21:3). God Himself will dwell with us! This seems to indicate that God the Father is with us! I know I dream of seeing Jesus! Don't you? My mind just goes off spinning into places I can't begin to comprehend when I think of God the Father dwelling with us. I bet we all fully understand the Trinity then!

In Eden I believe there was pain. There is a difference between being sinless (not knowing the difference between good and evil) and being without the normal problems of a physical existence. An infant does not know the difference between good and evil, but he or she certainly experiences pain and struggles in life. I submit that the fall did not bring pain but multiplied it. I bet Jesus hit His thumb with a hammer, stubbed his toe and/or got sore from hard work, etcetera, and yet was without sin. Not to say Jesus didn't know the difference between good and evil. I'm simply saying one can experience pain without sin.

In man's case, the normal activities of humans were commanded by God. Man was told to "Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every thing that moves on the earth" (Genesis 1:28). All of those things require man and woman to work. You cannot have dominion and subdue things without effort and work.

Not convinced there was pain? Eve was told, "I will greatly increase your pain in child bearing" (Genesis 3:16). To increase her pain there must have been pain to begin with. Pain was a good thing before the fall. It prevents us from further injury and/or dangerous situations. Put your hand to flame, it's hot, jerk back.

When we reach the New Earth there will not be any more pain (Revelation 21:4). The implications of this are mind boggling. No more dangerous situations. Nothing that can hurt us. Just let your mind wander. I'm sure you can think of things.

Eden had seas. "The gathering together of the waters called he Seas" (Genesis 1:10). The New Earth has "no more sea" (Revelation 21:1).

Why do you suppose that is? I have read that it is because seas waste space and thus the New Earth will be fully inhabitable. I think this is a great answer. I would like to expand on it a bit.

I wonder if perhaps we confuse sea with ocean. In Genesis the word for seas in Hebrew is yawm. It is "from an unused root meaning to roar; a sea (as breaking in noisy surf) or large body of water; specifically (with the article) the Mediterranean; sometimes a large river, or an artificial basin" (Strongs).

Is it possible that there were no oceans till after the flood? In revelations 21:1 the Greek word for sea is halce. It is "A primary word; salt: - salt." (Strongs)

I think the New Earth will have large bodies of water, just not oceans. I think further evidence of this can be found in the fact that Eden did not experience rain (Genesis 2:5-6). Rain causes erosion which results in minerals running into the ocean were they are gathered to produce salt water. Now think of the rapid run off from a world wide flood and the resulting erosion and minerals deposited to create the ocean's.

I don't think it will rain on the New Earth. I don't think there will be any erosion. I think a mist will go up to water the New Earth (Genesis 2:6) which leads me to the next contrast.

In Eden there was not a River of Life! Perhaps there will be no need for a mist to go up to water the New Earth since there will be "a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb" (Revelations 22:1). Also note Genesis 2:10, "a river went out of Eden to water the garden", but not the River of Life.

I had thought that I could wrap up this study of Heaven in a couple more post. I am beginning to think it will be a bit longer than that. I am sure everyone who reads this can think of many things I have yet to get too.

8 comments:

Modern Day Magi said...

thank you Michael.
great stuff.
i am really enjoying / looking forward to continuing this study of heaven and "I bet we all fully understand the Trinity then!" the full nature of God will be revealed to us then. I dont think a Human mind can trully even begin to comprehend the awesome glory and power of God. Our minds simply cannot relate properly to a God so much more than our experience. Im not suggesting God is unknowable or anything like that, but how much more of His glory will we understand when we dwell within it for eternity.

off topic. tonight i picked up a histroy of the church to sink my teeth into. I hope it will help with some of the isses brought up on my st patrick day post.

Michael Pendleton said...

Magi,

Thanks!

On your post about St. Patricks Day, try the links I put there.

A person can be very sincere in their belief but they can also be sincerely wrong.

A quick browse of the links I placed on your post should quickly settle in your mind what is true.

Modern Day Magi said...

"A person can be very sincere in their belief but they can also be sincerely wrong." yeah i know, the whole 'apearing as an angel of light' thing.
You will find that Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, all the major ones and the minor religions too, that the people who hold any particular faith want to serve their 'god'. The problem is the don't know the real one so when they serve it is satan.
Our hearts should be with these people though and not our scorn as only the love of Christ displayed in a Christian is a whitness of Him and the light which leads to Christ and through Him to salvation.

Correy said...

Interesting thoughts on the new earth. I notice you were saying in heaven we will have so much more then Adam and Eve however this is so already.

Our salvation is secure there's was not. We are Justified, sanctified and glorified NOW. We have lost all to gain eternal life. They at any moment could lose life and once they partake of the fruit they would be dead.

We live forever for those who partake in his death will surely rise with him.

The scripture says "Together we have the mind of Christ" When Christ was revealed to you from Heaven he also revealed to you the Father. "No one knows who the Father is except the Son. And all those whom the Son wills to reveal him." For Jesus talked about the Father in figurative language.

For the scripture says you knew him for you cried out "Abba Father" (Romans) And may I ask what name you cried out on to be saved of which name you were also baptised into? (Acts)

For the fullness of the Godhead dwells bodily in Christ Jesus. Collisions 2:9

Why then would any born again Christian then say "Show us the Father?" (John 14) or explain to us the Father? or Explain to me God?

Be very careful as man quickly tries to explain away what Jesus has revealed to us by the Spirit of Christ. 2 Cor 5:16

If the answer is not simple it is not from God. For unless you become converted as little children you will not inherit the kingdom of heaven.

Gordon said...

Good post, Michael. Revelation 21:3 is one of my favorite verses in the Bible. By faith, through the Spirit, we have fellowship with God now, but in that day He will dwell with us physically. What a blessing that is going to be.

This surely gives us blessed hope that no matter how bad things may become at this time, God has something much better in store.

Live, Love, Laugh said...

this is good Michael! Have you ever posted about the Tabernacle?

Live, Love, Laugh said...

just cking in to see if you posted

Michael Pendleton said...

Live Love Laugh!

THANKS!

I have not posted about the Tabernacle.

The Tabernacle and the Temple are both areas that I have just a basic understanding of.