Thursday, May 04, 2006

Ecclesiastes 2:4-9

"I made me great works; I built me houses; I planted me vineyards:
I made me gardens and orchards, and I planted trees in them of all kind of fruits:
I made me pools of water, to water therewith the wood that bringeth forth trees:
I got me servants and maidens, and had servants born in my house; also I had great possessions of great and small cattle above all that were in Jerusalem before me:
I gathered me also silver and gold, and the peculiar treasure of kings and of the provinces: I got me men singers and women singers, and the delights of the sons of men, as musical instruments, and that of all sorts.
So I was great, and increased more than all that were before me in Jerusalem: also my wisdom remained with me" (Ecclesiastes 2:4-9).

What is the first thing you notice about these verses?

Look again, take your time.

Five verses, five I's. Do you know what is in the middle of sIn? "I" am.

I did this. I did that. I I I! ME ME ME!

What did Solomon really do? Did he really build anything? Or did he have things built? Who allowed him to do anything at all? Who's blessing was upon this list of things?

"I made me great works; I built me houses; I planted me vineyards". Oh really? There was another time that people built them a great work and a great house. "And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth" (Genesis 11:4). Was this Solomons attitude too? I don't know but I would guess he crossed that line even if it was unintentional and the Lords punishment fell upon him just as it did the people at Babel.

Read the verses again please.

Now read these,

"When thou hast eaten and art full, then thou shalt bless the LORD thy God for the good land which he hath given thee.
Beware that thou forget not the LORD thy God, in not keeping his commandments, and his judgments, and his statutes, which I command thee this day:
Lest when thou hast eaten and art full, and hast built goodly houses, and dwelt therein;
And when thy herds and thy flocks multiply, and thy silver and thy gold is multiplied, and all that thou hast is multiplied;
Then thine heart be lifted up, and thou forget the LORD thy God, which brought thee forth out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage" (Deuteronomy 8:10-14).

Solomon had history. Solomon had these exact words written for him to read. He would have read these words too being the wisest man ever.

WE HAVE THESE WORDS! "Beware that thou forget not the LORD thy God"!

What have you done? What have I done? Is it Me, Myself, and I or is it "not my will, but thine, be done." (Luke 22:42)? Who are we giving the glory too?

Do I wish I could have financial security? YES! I tell you the truth though, I doubt I am responsible enough to do anything more than live from one paycheck to the next and just make it. The Lord knows that too and he keeps us lean and thus we lean on Him. I think I would rather be lean than at the top like Solomon and filled with grief.

Joel Olsteen might help you to live YOUR best life now but if you want to live the best life the Lord has for you put that book down and pick up your bible.

TV evangelist might help you achieve wealth but I would venture to say the problem is not how much you have it is your attitude about what you already have.

"Godliness with contentment is great gain.
For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
And having food and raiment let us be therewith content" (1 Timothy 6:6-8).

Solomon was not content. All those I's! that he did and no contentment in any of them. What was it Jesus said? Oh Yes! I remember!

"Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28).

Our best life is in Jesus! Take I out of sIn and put yourself in H"I"M!

12 comments:

jel said...

Awesome!





thank you

God bless

Correy said...

Nice little play on words at the end :)

Gordon said...

Excellent post, Michael. I really liked the way you compared it to the Scripture from Deuteronomy.

Tim A said...

Great writing Michael.
I liked where you said something about God "keeping you lean, so you would lean on Him...". That is good stuff.

Joe said...

"I" trouble is much too common among Christians!

That's what I think.

Modern Day Magi said...

we even get stuck with making ChrIst all about ourselves as well.

He chose 'me' for...
He has gifted 'me' with...
If 'I' pray this prayer God will HAVE to bless me with...

Great reminder that we are not chrIstians but rather CHRISTians.

Thanks Michael

MDM

Modern Day Magi said...

the map still says ipswich for my location but that is a little drive away. (20-30 minutes by car on a freeway.)

must be my isp as i am consistantly in the same 'wrong' place.

is it more accurate for you in the states?

MDM

Michael Pendleton said...

THANKS EVERYONE!


Magi,

I think the map thing only get's as close as wherever the first hub and/or router in the network is.

It's an interesting little toy though hu?

prolix said...

Dear Mike,
Thanks for visiting my blog. I have difficulty viewing your blog as it appears to be bigger than my screen!
I am from Asia, btw.

Regards
In Christ
Rupert
http://borax.wordpress.com
and the blogspot blogs!

Michael Pendleton said...

I wonder if anyone else has this problem?

I'm working on fixing it.

Live, Love, Laugh said...

wow this was so good! I am so glad you decided to do this, it has been putting more things into perspective and refreshing my life lately.

Have a great day in the Lord Michael!

donna said...

Enjoyed !!! thanks
God Bless Donna