Sunday, September 10, 2006

Ecclesiastes 2:16-20

"For there is no remembrance of the wise more than of the fool forever; seeing that which now is in the days to come shall all be forgotten. And how dieth the wise man? as the fool.
Therefore I hated life; because the work that is wrought under the sun is grievous unto me: for all is vanity and vexation of spirit.
Yea, I hated all my labor which I had taken under the sun: because I should leave it unto the man that shall be after me.
And who knoweth whether he shall be a wise man or a fool? yet shall he have rule over all my labor wherein I have labored, and wherein I have showed myself wise under the sun. This is also vanity.
Therefore I went about to cause my heart to despair of all the labor which I took under the sun" (Ecclesiastes 2:16-20).

People often say that money can not buy happiness. You may not agree but it seems to me that the people who tell me that the most, have money. People without usually will add, "but I would like to try". I think Solomon was telling us as part of the over all message in Ecclesiastes that money does not bring happiness. I must confess as I believe I have done before that as I study Ecclesiastes I am always thinking, "but I would like to try".

Why though? Why would I like to try? Well, because I don't have faith like I thought I did. When faced with all the financial problems that I posted about recently I didn't turn to God. I sat down to write another Ecclesiastes post and read "Therefore I hated life; because the work that is wrought under the sun is grievous unto me: for all is vanity and vexation of spirit" (Ecclesiastes 2:17) and thought.....EXACTLY! Have you ever done that? I think it is something I have done numerous times and I have a feeling I will do it again. I suppose that is how God grows our faith.

Solomon does something in these verses I often see people with money do. They take all the credit. Do you suppose Solomon really did any of the labor? I think not. Do you suppose Solomon went out and told the workers that success was vanity and vexation of spirit? I bet he did.

Here's something you should never do if you own your own company. You should never ever complain about money to your employees. It makes them feel like their job is not good enough. It is even worse in Solomons case....... You should never complain about money while it is obvious that your doing well and your employees are struggling. This inspires bitter feelings.

Solomon was the richest man ever and to take the credit for their labor and say he wasn't happy with it while the labors saw how he prospered...... doesn't exactly inspire anyone to follow God and it obviously brought Solomon nothing but misery.

I see Christians today who have plenty but give nothing or if they do give, they give to some foreign country, charity, and/or anything other than those around them. I see Christians in charge of others who tell them to "tighten up" while they are buying new cars, trucks, motor homes, and taking trips. I bet Solomon told his labors to work harder and they looked at the life he was leading and thought .......why?

So money doesn't buy happiness, what then? Maybe it's the idea that it brings security. I certainly only saw nothing but doom in my recent financial trouble. I wanted the security that money brings. I wanted the peace the security would bring. Awwwww......but look at Solomon. Money and security did not bring peace. He broke fellowship with God and Ecclesiastes is the result. I broke fellowship with God and the previous few post are the results.

There is no peace outside Jesus. It's a lesson I must learn again and again. It's a lesson I offer to you to learn yet again. Without Jesus as my focus I see nothing but people prospering while I struggle. With Jesus as my focus I see nothing but Him. What else is there?

11 comments:

Michael Pendleton said...

I hope I thanked everyone for their prayers, patience, and understanding with me and my rants over this summer.

If your taking the time to comment here then you are probably one who needs to be thanked...

So Thanks!

jel said...

Hey Michael,
that's what a brother or sister does when we see one another down we lift them up in prayer ,

God bless ya and your family!

Curious Servant said...

I'm glad you took comfort from my words.


As for the current topic (may as well say something since I've already begun), Money does not buy happiness, and it usually doesn't buy security either.

I know some folks with money. Most of them are worried about their finances constantly, worried about what to do with it, worried about how to invest is, worried about how to leave it in their wills, worried that people are trying to find ways of getting it from them. In general, it seems that for the people who have money, it owns them.

My wife and I have become very happy and at peace knowing we won't every have much.

I think those who have a little of it, and talk of it all the time, are really demonstrating that money is the only way they know of measuring who they are. It is a little sad.

But that isn't at all where you were at a while ago. Your concerns were more about the frustrations and fears that came out of being in a position which demanded more from you than you had. That is a different sort of thing and the money issue there was peripheral to the angst you were feeling. It was more like the issues about having too much demanded of your time, or your energy, or your emotional "bankroll". You were spread too thin.

My wife and I prayed for you.

Joe said...

In general, people who "make all the money they can" fall into the trap of getting their focus off of God.

A person should make all the money he can WHILE STILL KEEPING GOD NUMBER ONE IN HIS LIFE.

Not easy to do, which is why Jesus said it was easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to go to heaven.

The rich man's perspective is all wrong.

David Edward said...

hello - i am new to this space butsee familiar names. I am posting a 2996 tribute today if you have time to read and maybe cry....

Modern Day Magi said...

I'm glad you are back to posting Michael, purely for selfish reasons as I get alot out of your thoughts and they often encourage or teach me.

I'm was really blessed and encouraged to hear that our prayers for you were answered.

Good post again ansd I look forward to continuing to read your thoughts.

MDM

Anonymous said...

Michael,
I want you to know that I love you in Christ our Savior. I truly recognize you as my brother in Christ.
You have struggled with your faith and even with God Himself, and that is part of what knowing Him is about. You are not the only one who has had those struggles. Elijah did, Moses did, Joshua did, David did, even John the Baptist did when He was asking if Jesus was the One that was to come.
I have had my struggles with God, and thankfully He has brought me through.
Thankfully, He has brought you through. Keep on trusting Him. He is faithful.

Live, Love, Laugh said...

Great Post Michael! I am glad to hear from you again, and I see God is still using you to minister to us.

I can identify with this post!

Jada's Gigi said...

Money, can't live with it, can't live without it...not in this day anyway...I like what you said...when you look at Christ,He is what you see. that is what matters...

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you might be interested in my Bible Reading Notes, covering the whole Bible.
You'll find them at http://www.christinallthescriptures.blogspot.com
http://www.theologyofgcberkouwer.blogspot.com
http://chascameron.spaces.live.com
Best Wishes.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I'm a Christian. I'm baffled to see that a person who actually calls himself a Christian would criticize the Word of God, and on top of that, by the grace of God the wisest man to ever live. I hope that you overcome your financial problems soon, but I hope, in fear for your soul, that you overcome your spiritual problems even sooner. I suggest you read the Word and have more respect for it. "In the beginning, there was the Word, and the Word was God, and the Word was God." You were basically criticizing God, as well as one of his greatest servants.